Sunday 4 December 2016

Under the Weather

Last week was a week like no other in the past 14 years.  Around lunch time on Monday I began to feel a little queasy, and shortly afterwards I was violently ill, which lasted the remainder of the day.  I knew I wouldn't be able to make it to RSPB Fairburn Ings, so the Tuesday group was altered to North Cave Wetlands.  Unfortunately, I felt worse after trying to eat breakfast on the Tuesday, so I couldn't make it to North Cave either.  Luckily, Steve is a regular there, and he took everyone around.  They managed to see 45 species including a Bar-headed Goose, Herons, Little Egrets,  Snipe, Redwings, Fieldfare, and plenty of other stuff.  No one had a camera, so all the NCW pictures are from North Cave Wetlands later in the week
Marsh Harriers (c) 2016 Aileen Urquhart
Because the weather was beautiful on Wednesday the 7-times postponed class to Alkborough Flats was able to go ahead.  I'm afraid I again felt ill after breakfast, so I was able to meet the others in the car park, and set them on their way, but then had to return home to use the facilities.  John was able to arbitrate, whilst the others worked in collaboration to ensure the correct ID was arrived at.  Of course most birds were identified correctly, although one participant did reveal that some LBJs remained unidentified.
Little Egret (c) 2016 Aileen Urquhart 
 Snipe (c) 2016 Tony Robinson
 Snipe (c) 2016 Aileen Urquhart
 Black-tailed Godwit (c) 2016 Tony Robinson 
 Record shot of Spotted Redshank
Marsh Harrier (c) 2016 Aileen Urquhart
 Ditto
 Reed Buntings (c) 2016 Aileen Urquhart
 Teal (c) 2016 Aileen Urquhart
 Fungi (c) 2016 Aileen Urquhart
 Ditto
On Thursday I realised that after breakfast I wouldn't be able to make it to Potteric Carr, so the venue was switched to North Cave Wetlands.  This time I was well enough to accompany the group, but I had to rush home during the lunch hour.  

We managed to see 57 species in the morning, with another 3 or 4 in the afternoon.  The am group couldn't remember seeing a Magpie, but I'm sure they did, so the real tally was probably 57.  We saw most of the birds the Tuesday group did, but we were also lucky enough to see the Mandarin.  The Friday group was a repeat of the Thursday with a similar amount of bird species seen.  This is the first time a whole week of bird photographs have been added, but with none of them taken by myself.  I'm hoping that for the final week, I will be able to carry my camera again.  

Goldfinches (c) 2016 Jane Robinson
 Great Spotted Woodpecker [male] (c) 2016 Jane Robinson
 'Leucitic' (?) Blackbird (c) 2016 Dick Watson
 'Russian Blackbird' (c) 2016 Jane Robinson
 Bullfinch (c) 2016 Jane Robinson
 Goldcrest (c) 2016 Jane Robinson
  Little Egrets & Cormorant (c) 2016 Jane Robinson
 Mandarin (c) 2016 Jane Robinson
 Mandarin (c) 2016 Dick Watson
 Immature Mute Swan (c) 2016 Jane Robinson
 Mute Swans (c) 2016 Dick Watson
 Pochard (c) 2016 Dick Watson
 Redwing (c) 2016 Jane Robinson
 Make Kestrel (c) 2016 Margaret Richardson
Ditto
 Siskin (c) 2016 Dick Watson
 Siskin (c) 2016 Jane Robinson
 Snipe (c) 2016 Jane Robinson
 Snipe (c) 2016 Dick Watson
 Song Thrush (c) 2016 Jane Robinson
 Teal (c) 2016 Dick Watson
 Record Shot of Bar-headed Goose (c) 2016 Jane Robinson
 Ladybird on Teazle
 Herons (c) 2016 Jane Robinson
Heron (c) 2016 Jane Robinson
 Ditto
 Ditto
 Heron [with photo-bombers!] (c) 2016 Jane Robinson
 Heron (c) 2016 Jane Robinson
 Ditto
 Ditto
(c) 2016 Aileen Urquhart


No comments: